3/21/2019

Muuli got her first shoes on!


I have been using hoof boots on Muuli since last year. I have "winter version" with studs and spikes on. I have Flex Hoof Boots with small spikes and Boa boots with studs. And I disliked both of them!

In pur part of Finland it is impossible to do any trail riding or riding in the outside arena during the word winter months if horse doesn't have shoes with studs or hoof boots on. Roads and arena will get to icy that is impossible to ride there.

Okay so the boots... One or two fell off almost every time I rode with them! Then I needed to ride back, put the boot on, continue and hope that they will stay on.  I got frustrated and asked the farrier to shoe Muuli!

Muuli has never been shoed before but she took all of this like a pro!

Here is the video I took during the one hour operation. Muuli got a bit tired at the end but luckily all 4 shoes were on on that point.

The farrier had only shoes size 000 with her and as you can see, they are a bit too big for Muuli. But because Muuli will have shoes only for 2 months, we thought that it is okay.

Muuli has also "anti-snowball pads" in her shoes and 4 studs/caulks (?) in every shoe to keep her from sliding.

Now after 1,5 months I think this has been the best decision ever! Muuli can trot and walk in her pen safely and she is so sure footed on the trails! One shoe fell off farrier came next week to nail it back.

I will get the shoes off after 2 weeks when we are going to the horse fair with Muuli, but until that. I will try to enjoy the shoes as much as I just can!

Muuli will NOT have shoes on during the summer time but I'm sure I will ask the farrier again next winter! We have the worst riding conditions usually 2-2,5 months in the winter so if I shoe Muuli for that time, life gets so much easier.

Shoeing in Finland costs around 100 euros in winter.










No comments

Post a Comment